Getting Started: People
To send effective messages, your system should send relevant data to Customer.io. The data you send for each Person in your account can be used to automatically match them into Segments. This allows you to fine-tune how you target your audiences. The data allows gives you the power to personalize their message content.
All the data about a single Person in Customer.io is collectively known as their profile. A Person’s profile is where you will find their Attributes, Segments, Devices, Drafts, Sent Messages, Activity Log and Journeys. You'll also see an Options menu in the upper right corner of every People page for common tasks.
We encourage you to send profile Attributes and Events for every Person in your account. If needed, you can also send Page Views and Devices. Below you'll find a brief explanation of each.
Attributes are properties stored, per Person, in your account. You use them for messaging or segmenting. They are named values you use in various places throughout Customer.io. For example, when building Segments or designing message templates. If you want to customize your messages using data that is unique to each Person, you should store that data as Attributes in their profile.
Events are actions performed by People. Events and the data you send with them (i.e., Event Attributes) can be used to trigger Campaigns. They can also make People enter or leave Segments. For example, when a Person check out on your site, you can send a "made_purchase" event. That event can trigger a Campaign to send a receipt. It can also cause a person to leave a "Hasn't made a purchase in 6 months" Segment.
Page Views are simply Events (as described above) that have "page" as their
type value. If you want to create Segments based on webpages People visit (or don't visit), you will need to send us Page View data whenever a known user visits your site.
Devices are physical objects your People use when interacting with your system. Each Device has a unique id that is required to send mobile push notifications using Customer.io. Once you've added a Device via the API, you'll be able to see it in a Person's profile. We'll show the Device's platform, token and when that Device was last used or most recently identified.
As you send data to Customer.io, you will see the information flow into in each of the tabs shown in their profile. Attributes and Devices are explained above. Below is a brief description of the remaining tabs:
- Overview - A truncated view from a handful of the other tabs.
- Segments - Information about which Segments a Person belongs to.
- Drafts - A log of messages that have been drafted for this Person but have not been sent yet. Expand each row for more detail.
- Sent - A log of messages that we have sent or attempted to send for this Person. Expand each row for more detail.
- Activity - A log of activity that has been received for this Person. Expand each row for more detail.
- Journeys - A log of Campaign's and Broadcasts this Person has entered. The detail for each Journey will show you the Person's individual trip through a workflow. (Great for troubleshooting your Campaign and Broadcast configuration!)