Customer.io Hack Week
As a distributed team, one of the best parts of coming together during our retreats is simply being able to work together in the same room. It gives us an opportunity to take advantage of the spontaneous creativity, conversations and ideas that sometimes only arise when we’re co-located, chatting over breakfast or brainstorming how best to answer a customer support ticket. To capitalize on this and give it some structure, we have a hackathon – an activity that allows us to quickly and creatively tackle opportunities for growth that we see across our business. This year’s hackathon was our third. The theme?
The economically-named “Golden Rocket Pigeon of Victory” and the “Regular Rocket Pigeon Man of Almost Victory” – built by Paul!
With a bit of planning and pitching projects, the teams were able to get going on Day 1. We built nearly 20 prototypes and scrappy MVPs of internal and customer-facing projects. In the days and weeks that followed, we prioritized and put those projects into the product queue and have been bringing them to life.We’re now ready to start sharing the first releases!
Here’s a rundown of what you’ll see first, out of the gate, of our Chicago Hack Week projects.
“Let’s make customers’ lives easier.”We also added a voting component so that the winning teams could win a cool trophy (and bragging rights) in the process!
What we builtIn short, we worked on:
- Tutorial videos which show, don’t tell, the power of Customer.io
- A CSV importer which makes it easier to add both people and attribute data to Customer.io
- An option to archive old Layouts, to help you stay organized
- A Link Status Check tool for the composer to help you see if your links are working
- Data interactives: see how to build messages with data
- …and the ability to copy workflow items across workspaces and campaigns!
Customer.io AcademyYou can do a lot with Customer.io, and learning about all these possibilities in our documentation can be overwhelming, especially for the new user. Until this hack week, most of our documentation was text-based (with the occasional gif). The Customer.io Academy project created videos to give everyone a new avenue for learning Customer.io or leveling up existing skills! So far, we’ve got video explanations of:
- campaign types,
- event triggered campaign setup,
- the differences between event and segment triggered campaigns, exit conditions, creating segments,
- segmentation in general, and
- how to create an awesome onboarding campaign!