Send Customer.io Email Activity to a Data Warehouse and Other Tools
Today we’re excited to announce that Customer.io is available as a Segment Source, enabling you to send your Customer.io email activity data back through Segment into 1. a Postgres or Redshift warehouse, and/or 2. any of the other 200+ tools on the Segment platform, for further analysis and action.
Once you connect a Customer.io environment, here’s what we’ll send back to Segment:
- Email Delivered
- Email Opened
- Email Link Clicked
- Email Marked as Spam
- Email Bounced
What can Sources + Customer.io do for me?
While Customer.io already has basic conversion-tracking, with Segment Sources, you can go much deeper with your analysis. You’ll be able to see and act on Customer.io email activity like delivery, opens, and click events — in context with broader user data and additional touchpoints.
That makes it much easier to create a consistent customer experience and communicate more strategically. Here are a few ways that can happen:
- For example, many of you use Customer.io email campaigns to activate, engage, convert, and retain customers — but it’s certainly not the only method you use to reach people. Using Segment Sources, you can send Customer.io email activity data to other tools to ensure that you’re only communicating relevant information.
Let’s say Bob signs up for your app, engages with the product for a bit, but then falls inactive. Bob stops opening your emails, maybe even unsubscribes. What’s the best way to reactivate Bob? Probably not email. Instead, you can use Bob’s email activity data to switch channels and try reengaging Bob through push notifications or a retargeting campaign.
- You can also use Sources to align marketing and sales efforts. Your customers affiliate all their touchpoints with your brand, whether they’re dealing with customer service, sales, or product — but often a business’s communication systems are siloed. Deliver a consistently excellent experience for your customers by understanding what messaging they’re getting. One way to do that is to use Segment Sources, Customer.io, and your CRM to see the effect of email messages on the sales process.
- Finally, with Sources, you’ll gain a more holistic view and better understanding of your users and apply those insights back to your Customer.io campaigns and other parts of your business.
Here are a few ideas of what you can learn:
- Measure how your email campaigns impact user engagement over time.
- Add email event data and see its impact to your funnels and cohorts.
- Find out whether email behavior correlates with churn.
- Analyze Customer.io campaign performance across other types of campaigns and communication channels.
- Pull numbers for how many total email interactions a customer has had in 1 week, or over their lifetime.
- Find out whether email engagement affects numbers of helpdesk tickets opened.
- Calculate the LTV of customers who received a particular email campaign.
Check the average number of emails delivered per week in a tool like Amplitude
These types of questions have historically been difficult to answer because they rely on joining multiple datasets in highly customized ways. However, with the Customer.io Source, Segment brings all your data together in one place — or right into other tools — without any additional coding.
Customer.io empowers you to send effective messages that impact customer experience and business growth. Together with Segment’s mission of making your customer journey available in any tool, Sources is a big step forward in leveraging your Customer.io email activity to learn and leverage powerful data-driven insights.
We’re excited about the possibilities! Have questions or want to share how you’re using the Customer.io Source in Segment? Add a comment or let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org!